“Growing up, my family didn’t have much. I saw many talented friends who didn’t make it and lost a brother to street violence. As a Councilman and Chairman of the Education Committee, I’ve gotten too many calls alerting me to yet another child lost to senseless gun violence. And now the whole country sees that this violence can happen any place at any time. This gun violence has to stop.”
- Worked with community groups fighting to get guns off the street;
- Sponsored Buy Back Programs;
- Advocated for stronger state and federal legislation.
- Strengthen federal gun safety legislation;
- Expand background checks and close loopholes to keep guns out of the hands of domestic abusers, those on the terror watch list and the mentally ill;
- Ban assault weapons;
- Mandate safety devices and microstamping.