“Education was my salvation. That’s why I’ve fought so hard to knock down barriers and make sure every child receives the best education possible, and the same opportunity to succeed in life as I had.”
- As a Community School Board President, he filed the original CFE lawsuit to fix a broken school funding formula that cheated our children and won a court judgment that brought home $16 billion for NYC public school children;
- Fought to reduce class sizes;
- Led fight to create more than 4,000 new openings for pre-k;
- Led fight to prevent 6,000 teacher layoffs;
- Worked to start the Drop-Out Prevention Initiative that services students in public schools citywide;
- Fought to increase funding for Arts Education.
- Fully fund public schools consistent with the CFE vs. NY decision;
- Fully fund both CUNY and SUNY’s operating budgets with no tuition increase;
- Advance community schools;
- Pass Teachers Choice to help teachers pay for needed supplies;
- Reduce class size to continue to narrow the achievement gap;
- Strengthen teacher professional development programs;
- Support only those charter schools which are open to all students, provide union protections for teachers, administrators and support staff and are transparent and accountable to how money spent;
- Assign effective teachers to “high needs” schools with additional pay and other supports designed to improve both instruction and outcomes;
- Increase awareness and training on dyslexia, its warning signs and appropriate intervention strategies.