“On the national level we are now facing one of the greatest assaults on the rights of people of color, women, and the LGBT community. We should be able to protect ourselves at the state level, but right now our State Senator Marisol Alcantara is preventing us from being able to do that because she has joined a group that empowered the Trump supporting Republican minority to control the State Senate. ”
- Built a long, consistent pro-choice record including upholding an 100% pro-choice voting record on the City Council.
- On the City Council, sponsored New York City’s first landmark MWBE law.
- Fought to expand access to contraception and to provide age appropriate sex education in our schools.
- Fought against deceptive crisis pregnancy centers.
- Father of three daughters, started first Washington Heights girls basketball program.
- Combat Sexual Harassment - In the midst of the important #MeToo movement and daily revelations about the pervasiveness of sexual harassment, it’s unacceptable that the first State Senate GOP-IDC response was developed in private and places new emphasize punishment for false accusers. The simple fact is that no person in any job should be a victim of harassment at their workplace, and government must set a positive example.
- Investing in childcare - Investment in early childhood education and aid for high quality child care provides meaningful benefits to children, families, and society as a whole. This is an investment that pays off across generations.
- Passing the Reproductive Health Act - Because abortion was made legal in New York prior to the 1973 Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision, New York law lacks the important protections found under federal law. We must pass the Reproductive Health Act to codify Roe v. Wade into New York state law.
- Expanding opportunities for MWBEs and enforce MWBE compliance - We must strengthen our efforts to support MWBEs by expanding opportunities for participation in the state’s MWBE program and enforcing compliance with MWBE requirements.
- Providing free feminine hygiene products in schools and prisons - We must follow Assemblymember Linda Rosenthal’s lead in the fight to ensure menstrual products are safe, affordable and available for those who need them.
- Removing all Guns from Domestic Violence Offenders - Given the indisputable link, it is critical to keep deadly weapons out of domestic abusers’ hands. I support the Governor’s proposal to require all domestic violence crime convictions, including misdemeanors, to result in the immediate removal of all firearms.
- Passing the NY Health Act - Healthcare is a right, not a privilege, and women are more likely to be without adequate coverage. We must fight back against the efforts of Donald Trump and Republicans in Washington to gut healthcare nationally and establish a healthcare system in New York that guarantees coverage for all.
- Banning Asking Salary History - In working to achieve the important goal of equal pay for equal work, New York State should follow New York City’s lead in banning employers from asking employees their salary history.
- Finally fully funding our public schools - Education is the key to opportunity and we must place it in the hands of every child. We must finally fully fund our public schools. As part of this investment, we must make sure girls get STEM training and we close the gender gap in technology. And we must provide age appropriate sex education that teaches about healthy relationships and consent, sensitivity to people from different backgrounds and counters bullying, and respect for one’s own body and the bodies of others.